Thursday, January 18, 2007

alexa´s intro

Hello peeps! My name is Alex C. and I live in Cartagena, Colombia. In Cartagena we get many tourists since we have many historical things like the murallas and nice islands and beaches. I go to Colegio Jorge Washington which is very nice and has many sports. Here, the most popular sport is soccer, but I don't really like it, I play basketball and volleyball, but I like volleyball more. In this school, I think that school starts very early if you compare it to school in the U.S. which start at 9, but here it starts at 7. Which is very hard for me because I’m used to waking up late. But other than that, school is very nice. Except for sometimes, we get so many projects at a time that I get really confused and then procrastinate and have to do everything really fast at the end, so the projects don’t end up really good.

One of the problems many people face in Cartagena is poverty, which is a condition in which a person doesn‘t have important things needed for life. Here, if you walk around the streets you will see many poor people begging for money, I mean, you see that everywhere, but here you see much more than anywhere I’ve ever seen. It is very important for people with more money to help those people, and get them jobs. Since they don’t have any money, the children don’t get to go to school and instead they work on the streets washing car windows, the worst thing is that while everybody sees that these people need help, some people are too careless to do anything about it.


One of the important issues in the world is global warming. Which means that the Polar ice caps will start to melt because of rising temperatures and cause many problems like floods, droughts, tornadoes, extinction and even more. Most national governments have signed the Kyoto Protocol, which is aimed at fighting global warming. Global warming is a very serious issue and I think that everybody that can help fight it should do it.



Another important issue is drugs , they affect many people and make them do many bad things like crash cars, and if they stop taking it they get very mad at everybody. Mostly people take them because of peer pressure, they meet somebody who tells them that if they smoke it they would feel very good. People start doing drugs and then they can’t stop taking them because they are addicted. Drugs are bad for you.

Yet another important problem in the world is wars, which are violent fights between two groups. I think that wars are bad because many people end up dying unnecessarily. Wars aren’t always the best ways to solve conflicts either.

Bye. And remember, don’t do drugs!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey, that was some great information about Colombia and your school. It seems that you guys have alot of fun there although your school starts at 7 and ours starts at 8.30. I totally agree with your issues about global warning and drugs which seems to be a big factor these days. Well I come from Mr. Raisdana class and if you want to see my intro and issues, visit www.farhad.learnerblogs.org and feel free to comment. And it was really nice that I got to share your issues and about yourself.

vvSarah said...

Hey. My name is Sarah and I am in Mr. R's english class. My blog adress is http://jiwon.learnerblogs.org so you can come and leave some comments.
Well, there are many things that I agree with you on. (although I didn;t write everything on my blog.)
First, poverty. Poverty, in my opinion, is the most serious issue. I think that people have to start acting to help the poor people. I think that this is just not fair for them because (although some people are poor because they chose to be when they didn't study!) most of the poor people were born poor, either in a poor family or in a poor, developing country like Iraq. My question: Why, though, are so many people born with poverty when there are people who can go shopping everyday to buy some clothes and ipods?
Global warming. Well, as I said on other people's blog, I learnt a lot about how serious this is. I suppose that you are right when you said that if this doesn't stop, we, humans, can one day become extinct.
My question: If everyone knows and talks about how serious this is, then why not do something?
Drugs: it is a big, big problem. Well, doing drugs will make people feel nice and good for a moment but it really won't help at all, does it? Doing drugs can make a normal person go crazy, both mentally and physically. This is a fact that almost everyone, or everyone, in the world knows about. Then why are those stupid people keep producing drugs? And why are they still taking drugs?
Last issue, WAR! For a long time, I would ask myself, Why wars? Why killing innocent people? Why not just talk like civilized people? I don't understand but I know onething. This has to stop!
Okay. A long, long comment. Come and check my blog!

none said...

Hey Alex,
wow you really know your stuff. I never knew that poverty was such a big problem over there. Yes, there is some inbalance in the current trade of the world. There are countries with so much like America. The country with the most food. And Yet the country with the most diets to stop you from consuming the food. I guess the government has to be more concerned with this current issue for this must be a serious problem over there.

As for the global warming a lot of fuel efficient cars have been released but squashed by the oil companies because they are afraid of losing their job, for more than a million people work for the company and if it goes out then there will be more poverty throughout our world. Yes i guess you have heard about the Kyoto Agreement, many countries have joined and mostly developed countries, however some developing countries would sign it too. Also since the ozone is thinning due to the over excretion of carbon dioxide there is not enough oxygen to repair the damages. Also we now have to much green house gases and Australia is starting to have very high rates on sun stroke.
Drugs I agree is very bad and people tend to take it because they are curious or maybe peer pressure. Also it is partly because of the easy access to these drugs. I guess, people just do this if they have no life or want to die, meaning that alot of people are depressed and lost in this world. Please feel free to comment on my blog at http://novia8.learnerblogs.org

vvSarah said...

Hello again. Thankyou for re-visiting my blog. Well, yes. True story. It is kind of annoying when friends do that. Our siblings seem to be the most annoying people in the world, too, but maybe if we get to understand them better, then, who knows? they will stop annoying you.
By the way, can you comment on my blog about your thoughts that you might want to share with me please?
thank you.